Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The turtle walk...

My sister- in -law recently completed walking in a half marathon! At least she claimed she walked, but I did see pictures of her running across the finish line. Running...at the end!...at the end of 13 miles!!! I don't know if she was so excited to be done (or maybe she spied a big can of pepsi.)..but somehow... it all seems to be bordering on insanity to me...

It seems she is not the only person I know who has recently become possessed with the personal torture fever! A couple of our friends recently competed in a full marathon...Ok really??? 26 miles??? I mean WHY???? I cannot possibly imagine what kind of a prize, could possess a person to go "Hey, what ya doing on the 10th...3 months from now??" "Nothing??, Hey great, wanna go for a run with me?? How about 26 miles??" "Oh, and did I mention, that we really need to run about that far...EVERY DAY...between now and then just to get ready for it????"
Then today I hear another friend, casual as you please say..." Gosh, I really want to run a marathon!"...What the heck???

I keep wondering if the world has gone crazy and I am the only one to notice it! I mean I am all for a little exercise...there is nothing wrong with some weight lifting every day.. I try to get in my 8 glasses of water every day...they weigh quite a bit if you think about it...and if you switch drinking arms every other time, you are toning your guns quite nicely thank you very much! Just think if you add in a few snacks during the day...and load up on the heavy ones, you could get in quite a workout! Not one to worry about only one part of my figure I have also noticed that if you do your leg lifts in the bubble bath, you can get the nicley toned legs you always wanted and keep your bubbles fresh and long lasting. Of course you don't want to be to strenuous here, since it is a bubble bath, and turning it into a jacuzzi bath could lead to water overflow!

The nice part of my brain is proud of my sister in law and my friends...although they may be ambitious over achievers with a death wish, or hoping for early asthma, or maybe a chance to do some breathing treatments...who am I to rain on their parade! If they want to run distances that most normal people would drive... I am not the one to say no...

As for me?? I am happy with the turtle walk...I am sure I will have plenty of company along the way and time to stop and smell the chocolate...(well eat it is more like it, but hey! there should be benefits to moving slowly!!) and we all know that the turtle will eventually get where he is going...

No comments: