Sunday, April 4, 2010

Personality test...

Have you ever thought about the many seemingly small things we do, that define the type of people that we are?? Of course I was in my favorite shopping place yesterday. (Even on a Saturday...soooo dumb I know, but I bravely persevered.) I love this place! You can get so many good deals there, you can get things I have never seen someplace else there, you get free food that is usually really good (sometimes it is yuck and I am grateful, I wasn't seduced by the pretty picture on the box) and it is a really good people watching place!! I love to watch people...they are always so entertaining, in all their infinite varieties. As usual, we were strolling around, eating, and doing a minimal amount of shopping, I of course doing my normal amount of people watching which includes what goes in their cart. I get a kick out of matching cart contents to people...(weird I know but try it sometime...) Have you ever noticed people and their toilet paper?? I am of the philosphy that you can never have too much toilet paper. I usually always have about a 6 month supply on hand, lots of times even more...I mean this is something I don't want to have to find a home remedy for...Yesterday for some reason people were on a bathroom buying spree...It seemed like every other cart had white clouds in it. Or not! There were some shoppers who had the good sense to buy the best kind, others who bought the scratchy kind, with the icky green wrapper, some who bought the kind that will save the earth, (who really worries about this, at a time like that??)

I started noticing a trend in the placement in their cart too...Mr, I am in a hurry get out of my way, gotta get home and take care of business, (probably ran out and had to hurry over and get some...before...well you know...) had his ginormus pack in the basket of his cart!! Yep sooooo tall, he couldn't see over it. Trying to steer his cart, on a saturday no less, amongst thousands of sample hungry shoppers, by peeking around the edge of the cloud cover! To make it worse...the rest of his cart was empty! Who does that??? There are some who plop theirs right in the center of their cart and then try to fit everything else in around it, meanwhile hollering at their kids to get out of the way and hang on because their heaped up cart could topple onto them at any moment. There are the no nonsense shoppers who have theirs nestled appropriately on the bottom of their cart (where we ALL know it should go) with their basic cleaning supplies neatly arranged by room in the top, and NEVER buy anything frivolous or fun (samples???Eeek!free food in a PUBLIC place??) Then there are the embarrassed kind...neatly hiding it, or so they think, down on the bottom, gamely covering it up with laundry soap, and dryer sheets...as if you can hide 36 rolls of white....
I just had a chuckle or two or three as we made our way through the store and out to the car. Another day in paradise is what I was thinking. One more outing to reaffirm how fun it is to watch people. Yes it did cross my mind that there are those who would not agree with my personality assessments...however I felt pretty smart. Can't you just see a bestseller..."Easy Personality Match...Finding the Real You amongst the Clouds" As we were pulling away, I noticed Mrs. budget shopper and proud of it load her icky green wrapper kind in the cart and thought I had to at least give her kudos for buying more than enough for one or two days, like some of the crazy grocery store shoppers do...I mean really if you only buy 4 rolls, is it a gift for someone?? Do you ration it out?? Use it every other day?? Have only one person in your house who never goes?? I mean I don't get it!

However, I had much to do and couldn't let this occupy my whole day. Seriously with one birthday in the house and Easter Bunny shopping to finish, I had to move on. Busy day ahead...Finished my errands, visited a friend, did a good deed and finally my last stop before home, ran to the giant superstore which is my least favorite place (what a way to end my Saturday...and yes certifiably nuts for going there any day, let alone on Saturday before Easter...(screaming kids, crazy shoppers who buy pre-made icky Easter baskets, and blue vested workers were everywhere...even the cart storage cavern had no carts!) However a birthday gift resided there which I needed...I quickly grabbed my stuff, noticed a shopper or ten, ran across a lady I used to know, but didn't take time to yell across 3 aisles..."hey do you remember me".. and headed for checkout with my carefully counted "less than 20 items". (okay my carmel eggs put me two over the top, but really who counts anyway??) As I was standing in line, mentally categorizing all the multiple personalities around me, who do think pulled up in line right next to me??? Mrs. I have so many pressing needs, I will brave the crazed, shopper filled, so many people we were over the fire code limit, superstore. What was in her cart??? Nothing!! At first I wanted to tell her she didn't have to stand in line to exit the store, but then I noticed it...One little 4 pack of pure white toilet paper. Yep...another day in paradise...

3 comments:

Rex and Paula said...

funny you should blog about such a thing....
every time the TP comes on the costoc coupon, i buy some. i catch you know what for you know who about it. you said it! you can NEVER have too much of the soft white sutff.
love your new blog...love you too!

Loralie said...

Welcome to the blogging world. Glad I found you! I agree with you about the tp... that is one thing I don't ever want to have to do without! And, yes, it does belong on the bottom of the cart!

Robyn said...

Oh my gosh I love reading your thoughts! I do the same thing with the toilet paper - watch people - and feel the same way about those two locations. Too funny - great thoughts - keep 'em coming! Thanks for the laugh!