Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It is MY life...

I am not loving this teenage thing! (Yes I know my boys are turning into young adults, however let me keep my illusions!) I have decided that life with four small busy boys, who could always be nudged into doing exactly what their mom wanted was the best time of life. I was determined to raise 4 independent souls, who would know their own mind, and be able to stand on their own two feet. What I didn't bargain for, was the fact that those same independent souls would then make their OWN decisions and have the nerve to choose for themselves what direction their life should go, and at what pace they would go there!!

Our boys are smart, strong, independent and have the nerve to think that they should be in charge of their life! I love how self reliant they are, and how willing they are to find their own path. I love how even when the going gets tough, they just keep on going. I couldn't be prouder of them for these traits which will serve them will in the years to come....However, I keep wondering when I missed the memo that said it was time for Mom to butt out! It is hard to watch them struggle, and stretch and experience their growing pains. It is hard to watch life knock them down, and see them have to get back up time and again. It is hard to let them turn into "big boys" who can say yes I AM going to do that or no, I am NOT going to do that.

It is hard to let go of my mom voice and the ability to dole out advice and expect it to be followed on a daily basis. I am sure if you asked the boys they would tell you that I am lousy at butting out and an expert at butting in! I just keep thinking this is MY life!

Slow learner would describe me...I am finally coming to realize that growing pains are necessary and that in order for my children to be successful adults who can handle the storms of life on their own, I do need to butt out! It doesn't make it easier, but it does make it possible. How thankful I am for a Savior who has provided the way for all of us to get through life. How grateful I am for loving Heavenly Father and the knowledge of who we are and where we are going. How thankful I am to know that I am not the only one watching over these boys....This is my life...and I love it!

2 comments:

Rex and Paula said...

AMEN! that is all.

Robyn said...

Well said. Just don't be the mom that says "I told you so" after they screw up! Do that in the privacy of your own room, car, or padded cell! You're an awesome mom, Vicki!!!!!