Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dairies of the food snob...

Humbled again! Someday, I don't know when and I don't really dwell on the time of when, although perhaps I should, however.....Someday, perhaps I will learn my lesson and learn to practice some humility in regards to the way I think about myself and my particular talents.

I have always and I do mean always been able to cook. Not only can I cook, but I have always been a very good cook! At age 14 I brought home 2 Grand Champions, several blue ribbons and 1 white ribbon (they said my relish tray was so good, I had to have help!! Yes!!! They thought I cheated!!! ) from the county fair. This was pretty normal for me in all my 4-H years. I entered the Beef Cook Off every year, and never thought twice about the fact that I was usually the youngest competitor there!

I LOVE to cook. Even if no one ever ate what I made I think I would still love to cook...Both of my grandmothers were amazing cooks, and I have always secretly LOVED the fact that I am the one of their grandchildren who can do what they did! I like to eat lots of things that other people cook and to be honest, most any meal someone else makes for you tastes divine! I do have a few things I make however, that I think are the best thing going! I am very picky about somethings...(I know most of you would say MANY things...) and cookies are one of them. I have eaten a lot of really good cookies in my time, but it is very rare for me to eat a cookie made by someone else that I think is really, really good, or to be blunt, better than mine! Just to be fair, there are many kinds of cookies I have no desire to make, and I am always glad when someone else makes these cookies..however I have a few that I am particular about...AND I have spent many an hour fine tuning my favorite cookies, and finding just the right tweaks to a recipe to make them turnout exactly as I want them to.

Just before Christmas many of my favorite baking items were on sale for cheap! Hurrah!! My freezer is stocked full of yummy goodness and I can make many cookies to my delight, with out feeling as though I am being way to frivolous!! So with that in mind, I dug out one of my favorite cookie recipes, that I haven't made in a year due to the fact that I refused to pay $3.89 for the kind of chips that they need...and proceeded to bake them. Just as I remembered they were divine! Gone in a minute, but still divine!

Sooo, last week, since I had a freezer full of my good bargain chips, ( my favorite brand name no less) I proceeded to make these cookies again. I was so impressed with my baking ability and so anxious to wow my receivers, I was even late to my Visitng Teaching appointment, just because I had to take some of these wonderful cookies to the Sister we were going to visit , and I knew how thrilled she would be! We arrived at the door with a plate of warm cookies in hand, all the appropriate oohs and aahs were expressed and after our visit I dropped off my partner at home. After receiving more thanks for giving her some cookies also, I went home to partake of the divine cookies I had left behind! Much to my surprise and chagrin they were nasty to say the least! They were hard little drops that tasted like they really didn't get cooked despite 15 minutes in the oven! I am so sure my friends were thrilled with my treat! I am guessing a fast trip to the dumpster was the fate of the cookies!!

I had a good laugh at myself thinking I got exactly as I deserved for being such a snob and so full of myself! Sometimes it is the big things that get to us, and sometimes it is the little things...I don't think I will ever eat those again without remembering my fall from glory and I know for sure I won't make them again until this memory fades quite a bit...

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I love reading your posts. You really need to write more often!! I wish I lived closer to partake in all your yummy good cookin'. I bet I would have loved your cookies anyway! :)

David and Vicki Wardell Family said...

Krisitn, I always think the same thing about your writings! Ha ha! so fun how we see each other! Love you!

Rex and Paula said...

i am NEVER making cookies for you...EVER!

Robyn said...

I love your new "parable of the cookie" - and think you're pretty awesome anyway! Loved your talk yesterday, too. Really did.